To paraphrase the infamous line from Airplane - Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
Actually, it wasn't that bad, just another Thursday. I was budget conscious and stayed in. I made my favorite cheap meal too - lentil and rice casserole. It's so remarkable simple and delicious, and at the same time - nutritious! Recipe at the end...
But, since I was off today, I got to play a lot. I've been pretty dang sore all day today from the lunges yesterday. The stairs were a challenge, but I didn't want to make this an off day,so I pushed on. Took the bike out for the first time in a long time, and pushed through the burn for 5.5 miles. Nothing crazy, just reminding my muscles what I want from them. Then I came inside, changed shoes, grabbed Fred and took him for a 4 mile walk. It felt great. It was a beautiful day! Fred is sleeping peacefully now, he's all kinds of worn out.
Good day today, I ate well, exercised...what more can I ask for?
This is a family favorite:
Lentil – Rice Casserole
1 cup lentils
¾ cup rice (uncooked)
4 cups water
2-3 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 small onions, chopped
3 tsp kosher salt
bay leaf (optional)
grated cheese
Mix all ingredients in 13x9 dish, cover tightly, and bake 1-½ hours at 350°. Uncover, top with grated cheese and return to oven till cheese is melted.
Seriously, it's that easy. I use an 8oz bag of sharp cheddar (fine shred), Mo uses more. Stir it up before you put the cheese on. I've also been using a can of chicken stock to replace some of the water. It's easy and cheap and tastes great!
Thursday, May 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment